I accidently watched a programme in TV called-endearing eighties. The song that was on TV was from the movie Sagar – ‘Sagar kinarare dil yeh pukare’. I just felt so nostalgic. During my college days, we used to have film festivals in Tagore theatre, and films which were not that old were shown for college students. I saw this movie along with friends when I was a student at the women’s college, Trivandrum. There would be huge crowd to see those movies. Girls from other colleges also used to come, and on those days the road going towards Tagore Theatre would be full of girls going to watch the movies. I looked back and saw in my mind all those girls lining up to go inside the theatre and running here and there to find the best seats for them and for their friends too. Most of us were not used to going out and seeing movies in the theatres with friends. So those days were real festival time for us when we got to see our favourite movies without being bothered by unwanted staring or nasty comments. (Sometimes if it is from someone we like we didn’t mind it ;). Most of the movies were new to us even though they were a few years old, as we never usually go out to see them when they come out. I remember even now the scenes from Sagar and how clear those song scenes were, beautiful blue sea on the background and Dimple and Rishi ‘s romance.
Another song I saw was from Silsila- Dekho ek kwab tho ye… Wow. Today is for romance I guess. Beautiful song and beautiful scenes, Amitabh and Rekha looking so much in love with each other. I was afraid sometimes thinking that I am missing romance in my life. Then I found that I am not missing them, but they have just changed their shape and ways and feelings to suit my age. Romance is also growing along with my age. Romance is very much alive but in a different form.
A tender touch , a hug , a simple sentence – ‘come and sit by me for some time’, are all telling me that romance is very much alive. It still sparks that soft romance and I feel happy that romance is not dead and out. Romance for me does not necessarily mean walking hand in hand or looking in to each other’s eyes for a long time. Romance for me also means going alone for a drive when it rains and the roads are empty, listening to Hariharan’s ‘Jashan’ album, romance is watching and listening to the sounds of rain with no other noises on the background, but just the sound of rain falling on leaves and roof, romance is sitting in a comfortable chair with a good book and reading and falling asleep..
Romance at 16 isn’t the same as it is in 20s or 30s or 40s. As far as it is still there in different forms, life would be fun and interesting. Romance has a different meaning now, and it felt different in my 20s. The idea of reading a book when he is nearby watching a movie is romance for me, some nights when we watch a movie and I feel sleepy he would tell me I can sleep on the couch but stay near him and later on when he is finished with the movie he will take me to the bedroom, all of these are different and new forms of romance I am enjoying.J As we age everything changes, but it does not mean that we lost some things in the process or some things have just died. They just change their appearance and are still very much alive. I feel satisfied that nothing has gone forever, but they are all still very much there, If they are no more life will be at a dead end….
No comments:
Post a Comment