Friday, November 19, 2010

Books..

One thing I enjoy so much is that I am able to read as much as I want. I am not interrupted by anyone or anything. I have finished ‘Amen’ by Sr Jesme, ‘Ayalkar’ by Kesavadev, and now reading ‘Neer mathalam poothakalam’ by Madhavikutty and also Khushvanth Singh’s ‘The Company of women’.


‘Amen’ is an okay book; the writing style is not that good. But I was horrified to read about all those atrocities done by the so called God’s people!! With so much cruelty and lies and sex scandals among the church people , they don’t seem like they are different from a ‘normal’ society around us. I don’t see any holiness in them. Not one bit.

And ‘Ayalkar ‘is a book I felt I should have read long back. It’s been a long time since I went teary eyed after reading a book. How beautifully he had written that novel. The lives of all those characters go through our mind in slow and clear flow. Even after the book was done the characters stick on my mind especially the character called Padmanabha Pilla. A beautiful book.

And then ‘Neermathalam…another out of the world book. Books which are capable of taking us inside the stories and letting us live among the characters are wonderful books. I am enjoying the book a lot. Now I have only 3 books left, the collection of T Padmanabhan’s stories and Zacharia’s ‘Yesu’ and Perumbadavam’s Oru keeru akasam’. I wished I bought more books:(

5 comments:

Haddock said...

Most of the atrocities that goes on in this world is by "God's people"

You go back in history and still it is the same thing.

dr.antony said...

Interesting.You mentioned all the books in my collection.I bought Neermathalom from the air port last week,on my way back.My only concern is that you mentioned Amen along with works of good standing.It is not even worth mentioning,leave alone reading.

Meera's World said...

Thanks capt Haddock for visiting.:)History repeats right?:)

Meera's World said...

Dr Antony,you are right.My husband says the exact thing that you said about that book. He says that’s just an unedited/poorly edited diary without a balanced view. She being a professor who had studied literature in depth she could do a 1000% better.
I read it as I heard it was dealing with a controversial subject.
Also have Nettoor Matam with me:)

ജയിംസ് സണ്ണി പാറ്റൂർ said...

Like these people pen is better
than tongue. Writing is better than
speaking