Friday, June 11, 2010

A small long trip..

We decided to go on a small trip to velkankanny,as i wanted to go there for some time. As usual my husband started thinking of nearby places we could visit on our way over there. We had to postpone the trip earlier because of no net connection for 3 days, as we couldn't look for the hotels or make any bookings. Then after 3 days and may be after about 50 calls to Asianet and registering complaints after complaints we got the net back.

On Saturday we decided to start our trip and we had an early start. Everybody was in their best of moods and were singing and talking and teasing how horrible the girl on FM radio was singing. After about 4 hours I guess we saw the board to Madurai. We were just about 100 km away. Then out of the blue he asked me where are the registration papers of our vehicle? I normally keep it in my bag. I said it is right here and to my horror I remembered that the bag I took was a different one. The previous night I was so angry about going out late and coming back even later. All my plans of getting an early sleep were ruined. In that anger I forgot to put the small purse that keeps the papers in to the new bag. I told him; sorry I can’t find the papers. He was silent for some time and then said -okay then we have to go back.
My son was asking whatttttt! We both were saying what’s the big deal, we could still go. Just that time his uncle called to ask where we were .When I told him what happened he got really scared. He said you have crossed the borders and don’t take any risks. He told me to stay in a hotel in Madhura and he will catch the evening train and bring us the papers by early morning!! When I heard that I realized the problem was not that silly. I almost said okay to that. But my husband said we don’t have to bother the poor man to go through all the trouble, we will just go back, consider this as a warm up before taking the actual trip! Saying that he got in to the next U turn and we started our travel back. so I called his uncle and told him that we are coming back.
For some time we didn’t talk then we all felt like laughing. When we were reaching Arulvaimozhy, I remembered seeing a sari that I liked a lot in a small shop there, and the guys told me at that time when we come back I could buy that! So that’s what exactly I did! We reached home by 3 pm .The surprises didn’t end there. Before reaching home my mother called me and told me she got a call from the shop we visited the previous night (we all know the owner), and he told her that he has the small purse with our vehicle’s papers at his store. I had the shock of my life. If I had let his uncle go to our home to get the papers, he wouldn’t have seen it at all. And what if someone else who came to the store got those papers?

I got some good scoldings from all and they reminded me for the 101th time how I forgot my handbag a few years back at a park in Chennai and then how I forgot the same bag inside an auto the same day and luckily the auto guy called us back and returned that to me . Again the next day I forgot the same bag in another auto at the railway station and luckily for me AGAIN, the police man saw it and gave it back to me!! The bag had our passports and visa papers etc as we were coming back from the US embassy and also money in it. It still gives me the shivers when I think about it...
That night I got a good night’s sleep and woke up in the morning listening to the sounds of rain outside. It was only 5.30 in the morning. I didn’t feel like getting up and getting ready. I tried to ask my husband to postpone the trip one more time. He said okay no problem, but then within two days the kid will start his school and then he won’t get much time to travel soon. When I thought about it I decided to go on with our original plan.

2 comments:

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

Wow! You have been lucky getting back your bag each time you misplaced it!

Meera's World said...

u said it raji!