Thursday, May 27, 2010

Snow


Raji’s post reminded me how much I loved and hated snow at the same time. Watching the falling snow like soft cotton balls never bored me. When it snows heavily one of my favorite things to do was to stand by the window and watch outside, seeing the road fill with snow, the roof tops of our neighbors getting thicker and thicker with snow. Sky would be a vast blanket of grayness. Extremely depressing but extremely enchanting too. The snow would fall like it would never end. Sometimes I used to see snowflakes sticking on the window glass. They looked beautiful. Those tiny little snowflakes acquire wonderful patterns once they land on the window glass. It is simply amazing. It looks exactly like the pictures of snowflakes in greeting cards. Perfect ones. I wanted to take pictures of them but they never stayed there that long. Sometimes I also love to sit in our dining room with a cup of hot cocoa and watch the snow from there. Often times there would be a deer family walking slowly across the yard. But at night things do change. When you look out on a moonlit night, the blanket of snow would take a dramatic appearance. You can see lots and lots of tiny diamonds shining here and there. The experience of walking in the snow at night when everything else is still, calm and quiet, is something unable to describe. You would feel like you are walking through a winter wonderland.
But once the snow stops falling and the people are out with snow blowers and shovels, the reality would hit very hard. You no longer wants to sing like-“let it snow, let it snow, let it snow”. Sometimes when I want to get some workout I would go out with the shovel and clean the drive way. That’s one heck of a workout. By the time I am done, the tip of my ears would ache like anything and also the tip of my nose. Finger tips won’t even feel anything. Thank god we had the best neighbor, most of the times, he would come in his snow blower and ride a couple of times making our drive way clean. All he would get is a wave from me and a ‘Thank you’ mail later on:)

Back here, I am enjoying the rain. The plus point is rain is never as cold as snow...Obviously!

No comments: