Afterwards we went to see Agra fort. That place was neatly kept and looked elegant. I was sure we won’t get any rooms in that fort to stay as almost all the rooms were already booked by monkey families. The guide told us, that Akbar had 3 wives, one Hindu wife, one Muslim wife, and one Christian wife. He showed us the art works inside the bedrooms of each of these wives to prove his point. Needless to say the works are breathtaking. He showed us Meena Bazaar, inside the fort where royal females do their purchasing. Then we reached the famous place where Sha Jahan spend his last days looking over Taj Mahal where his lover was taking eternal rest. I must say the view of Taj Mahal from this fort was one of the best I have ever seen.
Guide told us, contrary to the stories we have heard, Sha Jahan was not imprisoned in a dungeon in his last days, but he was just house arrested. All his titles were taken away and he did not have any rights as a king. But he was allowed to live in this fort doing whatever he liked to do as an ordinary person. He was free to do whatever he wanted, but within the walls of this fort. He was not allowed to go out from this fort. I like hearing stories from these guides as I feel they are a part of the historical stories I am listening to…whether what they are telling is true or not, I like it. They talk with so much confidence :).
No comments:
Post a Comment