I love to sing. I have never had any formal music training,except for a couple of years Veena class. My relation with music ends there.. Just like everything else, after I started Veena classes,I stopped it. Or else t it’s just not me. Therefore, I have no ideas about the basics of music. However, If anybody is singing a song not exactly the way it is sung by the original singer, I can tell where and how it went wrong. For this same reason, I cannot sit and listen to Jesudas singing his own old songs on stage shows or other programs. He makes so many changes:) I dont mean any disrespect for this great singer. I can listen only to his recorded songs and Kacheri:) I keep saying he is singing it wrongly and my husband would just roll his eyes.
One day I was singing the song-chakravarthini ninaku njanente- in Chemparathy, movie. I would give all the necessary background music for my songs;) .But after the background music when I resumed the song, I heared a scream- you changed the sruthi ! My husband, he sounded almost angry! He said ‘I was enjoying the song and you spoiled it. Why don’t you once try to learn what is this sruthi is all about‘? Normally I would say, I don’t care, as far as I am concerned I am singing to my comfort. If I feel like, I will sing every single lines according to my comfort level. But this time I thought I would seek his help. He studied music long time back,and his mother was Jesudas's junior in Music Academy. Anyway, since we don’t have a harmonium box here, he decided to teach me using the piano we have in the basement. Good lord, I sat there and tried to listen to what he was trying to say. Since i've already made up my mind, I was sure I was not going to understand this. In the end, I just decided to give a big ,ugly, loud cry and end my class. He said, okay, no more lessons. You can sing, whichever way you want. Okay, I wiped my eyes. I declared that I would never ever sing a song in my life. It happened some years back.
Now somehow I learned how to sing a song without him yelling WATCHOUT, SRUTHI! I don’t know how but I guess I did it!!! Thanks to him for his patience for sitting through the torture of listening to a song being cut and wounded and sang in any possible way one can sing:). I still makes mistakes now and then,but also leanred how to correct them..;)
I am not innocent either. Sometime he would be singing beautifully inside the bathroom and suddenly I hear a minute mistake in it. I will run and knock on the door. When he stops and asks what, I would say hey, there was this mistake in that line, and this is how it is.. Sometimes he will take it and sing correctly sometimes he will say, thank you but no thank you !I am enjoying singing the way I like it . NOW that’s good, that’s what I like to do too. Just do not ever mention that Sruthi to me ever again.
One day I was singing the song-chakravarthini ninaku njanente- in Chemparathy, movie. I would give all the necessary background music for my songs;) .But after the background music when I resumed the song, I heared a scream- you changed the sruthi ! My husband, he sounded almost angry! He said ‘I was enjoying the song and you spoiled it. Why don’t you once try to learn what is this sruthi is all about‘? Normally I would say, I don’t care, as far as I am concerned I am singing to my comfort. If I feel like, I will sing every single lines according to my comfort level. But this time I thought I would seek his help. He studied music long time back,and his mother was Jesudas's junior in Music Academy. Anyway, since we don’t have a harmonium box here, he decided to teach me using the piano we have in the basement. Good lord, I sat there and tried to listen to what he was trying to say. Since i've already made up my mind, I was sure I was not going to understand this. In the end, I just decided to give a big ,ugly, loud cry and end my class. He said, okay, no more lessons. You can sing, whichever way you want. Okay, I wiped my eyes. I declared that I would never ever sing a song in my life. It happened some years back.
Now somehow I learned how to sing a song without him yelling WATCHOUT, SRUTHI! I don’t know how but I guess I did it!!! Thanks to him for his patience for sitting through the torture of listening to a song being cut and wounded and sang in any possible way one can sing:). I still makes mistakes now and then,but also leanred how to correct them..;)
I am not innocent either. Sometime he would be singing beautifully inside the bathroom and suddenly I hear a minute mistake in it. I will run and knock on the door. When he stops and asks what, I would say hey, there was this mistake in that line, and this is how it is.. Sometimes he will take it and sing correctly sometimes he will say, thank you but no thank you !I am enjoying singing the way I like it . NOW that’s good, that’s what I like to do too. Just do not ever mention that Sruthi to me ever again.
4 comments:
Hehe...! Sweet couple indeed! I always wanted to learn the Veena.. and my mother used to say, 'You have to go and learn the Veena, it isn't going to come and teach you by itself!"
Well, I like to think I sing well..! Let it be at that. I wanted to learn singing too..! Well, you're just making me regurgitate my old fantasies..! :)
the things i started and then stopped are numerous:)veena is just one cute item in that list:)thanks for visiting:)
So nice the two of you loving music and enjoying it.
How sweet!
My husband is completely tone deaf, so I can get away with singing anything at all!
Post a Comment