I saw the Miss South India contest/Kerala in TV today.
I have nothing against seeing beautiful girls in pretty costumes. But this one was a comedy show.None of the contestants could talk proper Malayalam or proper English.They were talking in a mix of Malayalam and English. Other than one or two, none of them had any grace. Seeing them do the catwalk wearing settum mundum made my day:)
The trend now I see in Malayalam channels, (that’s all I get here), especially the girls, talking in a strange language. Adding more than enough English words and a little bit of Malayalam.Today I saw a program in which a serial actress was telling a participant-- Krishnan butter alle steal cheythathu! (Didn’t Krishnan steal butter?)Now, what on earth was that?
If this is the way, the younger generation is going to talk, Malayalam could soon become an extinct language.There is so much proud in a parent when they say my kid does not speak their mother tongue. He/she only speaks English. Of course, the kids should study and talk the English language, but does that mean they should forget their mother tongue? Is there no importance to one’s mother tongue at all? Or am I over reacting?
I have seen Indian kids hesitating to go back to India. They say none of the kids back home, talks in their accent and none of them understands what the other is talking. And they cannot talk in their mother tongue either, because they don’t know that. So, they get bored back there, and just don’t want to go back to India.It’s not something we should feel proud of.
Is this a trend just in Kerala/NRI Keralites?I wonder. When the kids are little, it is easier to teach them a new language. They understands that easily. Therefore, it is not hard to teach them one more language when they are little. I agree once they are older, they can decide if they want to give up talking in their language or not. It's up to them. But they should know how to read, write and talk, just enough to survive.I also know a small kid who talks in her mother tongue Marathi, her dad’s native language Tamil and on top she can also talk in Hindi and English. Now there is some hope!:)
Just my feelings. For me, forgetting your mother tongue means forgetting your roots. Forgetting your roots means, you are denying who you really are. It is as simple as that.
I have nothing against seeing beautiful girls in pretty costumes. But this one was a comedy show.None of the contestants could talk proper Malayalam or proper English.They were talking in a mix of Malayalam and English. Other than one or two, none of them had any grace. Seeing them do the catwalk wearing settum mundum made my day:)
The trend now I see in Malayalam channels, (that’s all I get here), especially the girls, talking in a strange language. Adding more than enough English words and a little bit of Malayalam.Today I saw a program in which a serial actress was telling a participant-- Krishnan butter alle steal cheythathu! (Didn’t Krishnan steal butter?)Now, what on earth was that?
If this is the way, the younger generation is going to talk, Malayalam could soon become an extinct language.There is so much proud in a parent when they say my kid does not speak their mother tongue. He/she only speaks English. Of course, the kids should study and talk the English language, but does that mean they should forget their mother tongue? Is there no importance to one’s mother tongue at all? Or am I over reacting?
I have seen Indian kids hesitating to go back to India. They say none of the kids back home, talks in their accent and none of them understands what the other is talking. And they cannot talk in their mother tongue either, because they don’t know that. So, they get bored back there, and just don’t want to go back to India.It’s not something we should feel proud of.
Is this a trend just in Kerala/NRI Keralites?I wonder. When the kids are little, it is easier to teach them a new language. They understands that easily. Therefore, it is not hard to teach them one more language when they are little. I agree once they are older, they can decide if they want to give up talking in their language or not. It's up to them. But they should know how to read, write and talk, just enough to survive.I also know a small kid who talks in her mother tongue Marathi, her dad’s native language Tamil and on top she can also talk in Hindi and English. Now there is some hope!:)
Just my feelings. For me, forgetting your mother tongue means forgetting your roots. Forgetting your roots means, you are denying who you really are. It is as simple as that.
3 comments:
Hehe..! Same topic..! Spooky.. :D :D
But frankly, it irritates me to no extent. The anchors on Sun TV are horrible. I'll shoot them..! x_X
Hmmm....missed the show. Was held up at work. Guess I dint 'miss' much from them miss'es.
You are absolutely right. The best time to teach someone a language is when they are very small, when they pick it up very easily and don't know yet to protest. It will be very sad if our languages fade away slowly. Humans are very capable of functioning well in several languages, so there is no excuse to not speak even one language well.
The "beauty parade" must have been funny!
Post a Comment