Saturday, September 10, 2011

One more visitor


A couple of days back I woke up to the pathetic crying of some kind of bird. I tried to look out but only saw Jackie one of our dogs (my husband calls them lovingly our ‘donkeys’) was sniffing around the plants. I decided to go out before something bad happened, and saw he was playing with a small bird, and on its back there was hardly any feather left!! When Jacky saw me he came running towards me. He seemed like he licked something that was tasty!! I am glad I got out at that time or else that bird would have been inside his tummy. Normally when he catches rats, he plays with them until they are dead, there won’t be any gory sights. He treats them like a toy. But this one was a tasty toy for him I guess. After tying Jacky when I came back I saw the bird trying to limp around looking for a hiding place. I waited until Raju came, the boy who comes and hangs around on holidays. He got the old bird cage out, the one we bought when we had an injured owl in our backyard. He put the bird inside it and declared it’s a Nightingale. We gave the bird a small banana and some water. I thought once it gets its feathers back and be healthy we will let it go.

The next day when I came back from outside, I saw another bird hanging upside down from the cage!! At first I thought it had its feet stuck in the cage. I tried to shoo it away and it went away for a second and came back again and did the same thing! I guess the bird thought (???) this small bird is its baby and was trying to feed it. Anyways, after a full day of hanging upside down the next day it went away. The bird seems getting better and I want that thing to be gone as soon as possible. So that our donkeys can go back to their normal days without jumping around the cage and barking every time the bird makes a sound… one more visitor