Thursday, February 04, 2010

Republic day

The next day was the republic day parade. We got up early and decided to take our chances by taking water bottles and a couple of bags of lays for my son, with us. Everybody advised us against taking anything,they said we cant even take newspapers with us to the parade ground. Had a nice long walk to the place where we had our seats. Before we entered our area, had to throw away the bottles and bags of chips:)
The soldiers whom we met on the way were very nice and I didn’t see one single person who was rude. Even though there was fog and outside temperature was getting a little bit uncomfortable there were so many people coming from all directions .I saw people from different ages walking with only one intention in mind, reach the parade ground early and get seats. The security alerts didn’t seem like an issue to anybody who came there. It felt like people were thinking nothing, nobody can stop them from attending this republic day parade...they were just determined to see the parade no matter what.
Luckily we got the3rd row from the first. So even though it was getting more and more foggy, we were able to see the parade and the people very clearly. We saw P T USHA too!! This was an experience for all of us and we felt so proud watching all those people marching and the tanks and machines, and the unbelievable motor bike display!! Then there were these fighter jets that came and vanished, practically in to thin air before we even got a chance to have glance at them!
Hats off to our people who watch us over and make things safer for us even when we sleep. Jai hind!!
After that we lost our way. We walked through the city for one and a half hour. Didn’t feel tired, it was fun. We asked directions and all the people gave wrong directions, I felt like there was only Asoka and Janpath road all around us, wherever I looked I see these roads. Then my son remembered the road near to the place where we stayed, and said let us look for Jantar mantar road near Shangri-La. Okay we got a clue! We asked the security person where that road was, who was guarding Menaka Gandhi’s house and he told us exactly where we had to go. Then finally we reached our place. Our driver was also looking for us near the place where he dropped us! No wonder he couldn’t find us, because we were walking in circles at that time, we even reached the place where we watched the parade one more time.

5 comments:

Kamini said...

One day I hope I can watch the Republic Day parade live! It was nice reading about your Delhi vacation - brought back memories of some of my old haunts!

Meera's World said...

kamini,
iam trying to open your blog for the last one week and it doesnt open.'the internet explorer cannot display the webpage'- is the message iam getting.

is there anything you can do about it?
thanks:)

Kamini said...

Meera: I have no idea why. Let me look into it and get back to you. Do you use any other browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome? I always use one of them, and have no problem opening my blog.
I hope you are settled well now in India.

Kamini said...

Hi Meera: I tried opening my blog from Internet Explorer and it worked fine from my computer. I have no idea why you are not able to open it, and I do hope you succeed!

Meera's World said...

kamini,the problem still remains the same.can you ask if anybody else in india has issues opening your site?
we dont have any problems in this side.i wish i could read your postings!